Saturday, May 12, 2007

Lantern Festival

Divine intervention might be suitable words to describe the environment on the day of the Lantern Festival in Taibo. Low gray clouds swept into the area on a breeze dense with moisture unable or unwilling to let loose as rain. The gray of the enormous sky served as a neutral background to emphasize the costumes of the performers and the colors of the lanterns on display. The steady beat of the drums reverberated across the plain adding an almost ominous feeling of anticipation. Wanting to be close to the stage, I had gone to the site several hours before the dances were to begin so I could reserve a good area to take photographs. It was during those few hours, and the following ones, that I came to learn a few more things about the cultural differences between Midwestern America and Taiwan. It seemed perfectly logical to me that I could quietly take position to view the ceremonies, wait in place for an hour or so, and have an unobstructed view. That isn't the way it works in Taiwan. Five minutes before performances begin, hordes of people push and shove their way to the front and sardine themselves in leaving not even enough space to shift weight from one foot to the other. I could go on, but since I am a guest in this country, I will refrain from releasing any more pent up frustration at my attempts to photograph what I saw that day. Most of the photographs I was able to take are of performers before the actual performances began. Don't get me wrong.... I was delighted I was able to attend and this will be one of the long remembered events of my time spent in Taiwan... but I was very weary by the time I arrived back in Chiayi, hours later. Although, I don't think any of these photographs have captured the environment nor what I saw there. I did take a number of videos, and while I was unable to hold the camera steady, due to the crowds and weariness, they do capture the sounds of the day which are equally meaningful. There was a procession of performers through the town and to the open area where the stage was located as well as a second stage for some of the musicians and seating for what I assume to be dignitaries. The Dragon and Lion Dances were performed first, as is likely traditional. Several of the groups of performers were directly from Japan. The aboriginies from Alishan performed as well as numerous groups from throughout Taiwan. It was a mix of traditional and contemporary dances. The traditional costumes were exceptional. Lanterns made for the occasion were scattered throughout the grounds with a huge gray pig high above. A pig for the "Year of the Pig" obviously, but no explaination, other than commercial advertising, for the Chuanghua Telecommunications cell phone replica that hung from a rope on the pig's neck.


1 comment:

sam of the ten thousand things said...

Wonderful use of colors, Cheryl.