Monday, May 14, 2007

East coast - Hualien and Taroko

From Taitung, we took a train up the east coast to Hualien, Taiwan. For this part of the journey, the train went inland, somewhat away from the ocean. I wished I could have gone up the east coast by car. This island holds enormous adventure for those people who do not have to travel by public mass transport. From the very beginning of my time here in Taiwan, I have wished I could have a car and a good map. My scooter is too vulnerable and far too powerless to make any long trip. The east coast is truly incredible. The photographs you will see here do not do the area justice at all. And, only one day was spent in Hualien/Taroko Gorge. I am told the Cross Country Highway is totally breathtaking. "Chicken" that I am, I think I would have to live here for more than one year to get up the courage to travel that route though, as it is a very hazardous highway, especially during rainy season when mudslides are frequent. We stayed at an artist's backpackers hostel close to the train station and had a great family style "Mexican" meal there(prepared by a young surfer dude with a gold tooth) with English speakers. Ha! We even passionately discussed politics and for a few minutes it was almost like being back in America. Art magazines and journals were plentiful as well as attention from a strangely manicured dog who seemed to know more about life in Taiwan than any of the humans wandering in and out of the hostel. As luck would have it, Amy and I shared a taxi through Taroko Gorge with a young couple from Hong Kong. This was perfect as English is spoken by most people from Hong Kong and the spoken Chinese, though not the same, is understandable between Hong Kong and Taiwan. After we visited Taroko Gorge, we stopped by the ocean and spent about an hour there. Taroko Gorge is quite beautiful. Yet, it is not more beautiful than some of what I remember from America. It is definitely a place to visit when in Taiwan.

No comments: