Sunday, May 20, 2007

Ilan County (Yilan)

From Hualien to Ilan, the scenery is spectacular. Unfortunately, the train went through so many tunnels that I only caught glimpses of the ocean. The mountains are against the edge of the island which means there are sheer drops directly to the ocean.....hence the tunnels. Going this route by car or bus would have given a bit more of a view and a lot more of a thrill. If I were to stay another year here in Taiwan, I would request a transfer to the east coast. It is cleaner, has a cooler temperature, is far less crowded and the traffic is even slightly better. There are more earthquakes, but since the ground is more solidly rock, the earthquakes are felt less than where I live in Chiayi City. For awhile, I considered going ahead and signing a contract for another year here, but I know it would be a mistake. I need to return to the United States. While in Ilan, I visited the Center for Traditional Arts again, mostly to get another look at the puppets. The photos here are from the center. My camera was soon to break down and need repair, so photos are limited. Here, in Ilan County, I tried a soak in a hot springs. That was definitely interesting, though I can't say it cured any ills or rejuvenated the spirit to any great extent. On the top floor of the hotel was an aviary with beautiful and colorful birds. It was dusk when I went there, so the photos are not very clear. I will post one just to give an idea of what it was like.