Saturday, March 31, 2007

On to Kenting, Taiwan February 8th and 9th

Next it was on to Kenting and the beaches of the southern tip of Taiwan. The photo of Jennifer in the last blog entry was from Kenting. Kenting didn't quite live up to the reputation it has for being the "best place on the island for a holiday." Someone must surely be mistaken. We did visit several of the beaches there and walked through the night markets as well as the shops along the main street of the little resort town. It was an interesting place for certain. After an early morning of aimlessly walking the streets searching for an Internet cafe', I accidentally ran across a restaurant which had two computers available for customer use. I don't remember which addiction was more pleased.... the strong coffee or the broadband. But I do remember a feeling of panic when I realized the computers were set to type only Chinese characters. Luckily, the waiter came to my rescue. I have since learned how to change the keyboard to English myself. It is always difficult to decide which photos to use in this blog. Many of the photos I take here are taken from a train or bus and show a larger area of what I see here. This blog doesn't really do justice to landscape type photos. Someday maybe I will do a show, Railroad Diaries, and print out larger photos of the scenes I have captured as I travel from one area of Taiwan to another. These can show much more about Taiwan as a country than the ones I generally post here.... more about the people and the culture.... (and a few of Jennifer and RJ) Kenting is a tourist area and so has some unusual sites. As with all of Taiwan, the tourist areas are basically for Taiwanese tourists, and not so much for foreign tourists. Maybe you will enjoy some of the signs for names of places. Perhaps there is a danger in knowing a "little" English, but not a lot. Ha! There definitely is humor.

No comments: