Friday, February 02, 2007

Night Markets

So you wanted to know about night markets, eh? Maybe not. But, I'm going to post some photos of night markets anyway. I've only been to two of them, so I'm no expert, and I haven't yet bought anything at one, with the exception of a tea or other strange concoction. Basically, night markets are areas in a town where stalls are set up and people sell things, particularly food, but also many other things. Towns are known for their night markets and the specialties sold there. The photos here are from my city, Chiayi, and from Taichung. Night markets are probably also an excuse to socialize and even to go for a "date," or just to get out of the house and hang out somewhere. Because night markets are often large areas, none of these photographs capture "the whole" of a night market, but perhaps by looking at the expressions on the faces of the people attending, you will have some idea of what a night market is all about. They are important in Taiwan, and well attended by Taiwanese. At the night markets I went to, there were no foreigners except for me the people I was with, although I would imagine that some foreigners would find these gatherings much to their liking. Personally, I found them much more interesting for people watching than for the items being sold. Still, I doubt that I will attend many more night markets while I am in Taiwan.

1 comment:

sam of the ten thousand things said...

Thanks for the address Cheryl. I'm back.