Saturday, September 23, 2006

Flora and Fauna


A few weeks ago I walked to the Chiayi Cultural Arts Center to purchase a ticket to an upcoming performance of the Taipei Ballet. On the way, I came across a long row of "tents" selling plants. Some of these were things I had never seen before. Having my camera along, I took some photos. One thing I learned was never to pull out my camera in any place where I intended to make a purchase. It's just a Sony 717 but it looks far more impressive (and expensive) than it is. With camera in hand, I asked the price of a little plant and was given the total f 1,400NT, which is about 50 US dollars. The plant is worth about 200NT dollars, and that's what I ended up paying for it at a greenhouse across the street from my apartment complex. Lesson learned. Lucky for me I learned it before being ripped off. And don't get me wrong.... many of the locals here are honest and would not change the price by the preceived ability of the customer to pay. Oddly enough though, some of the foreigners don't mind paying more. For instance, my apartment complex is a rather large high rise which was high dollar housing at one time. It isn't high dollar these days, but some of the foreigners here have their housing subsidized by companies back home and pay extra just because the money is available. In exchange, they expect (and receive) the royal treatment.
My apartment complex is the large high rise you see off in the distance. My building is the tallest one toward the right. The place is definitely "cool," having a swimming pool, exercise room, library (all Chinese), pool and ping pong tables, computer lab, television room, barbeque area, conference areas, 24 hour trash collection and many more amenities. There are guards at each gate and the elevators require a keychain to operate. My apartment costs roughly $400 US dollars a month, and about 45% of that is subsidized by the Ministry of Education in Taiwan. As you can see, housing in Taiwan is much less expensive than in the US. My apartment has 3 small bedrooms, a bath and a half, a living room and a kitchen. There are 3 balconies, one off my bedroom, on off the living room and a dark, secluded one off the kitchen where there is a washing machine. The place is furnished, although the furniture (except for the beds) I could easily do without.... would not have been my choice. Even the apartment is not one I would have chosen on my own. I would have likely gone for one with different "character"or one where I could have some sort of garden with cool plants and flowers like the ones I saw on the way to the cultural arts center.... maybe some ferns...
These photos were taken in late afternoon after a storm. Ordinarily it is much brighter in the apartment.
And the last photograph is from the balcony, looking down. Yes, it is out of focus. It was taken my first day here and I had my eyes closed. Did I ever tell you I have a fear of heights? I'm getting over that, just as I am my fear of elevators. Although I must admit, sometimes at about the 8th floor of the elevator ride, I wonder where I will be when I experience my first real earthquake (Taiwan has many). It is a relief to see the LED flash 14 and hear the doors start to open.

No comments: